Navigation

A Vision

70 Years in the Making (1949-2019)

1940

World War II forces Southern Baptist missionaries out of China and Japan. Several are relocated to the Territory of Hawaii to start mission work.

1946

Missionary Dr. Victor Koon heads a committee to promote the founding of a Baptist school.

1947

The Woman’s Missionary Union of Virginia pledges $125,000 over 5 years to fund property and facilities. The SBC Foreign Mission Board (FMB) sends Hugh and Mary McCormick from Nigeria to start a school.

1949

Hawaii Baptist Academy opens with 36 students in grades 7 and 8. Mr. McCormick serves as principal. Mrs. McCormick is school nurse and librarian. Buildings are refurbished army barracks.

1950

Grades 1, 2 and 3 from Olivet are transferred to HBA. Grade 4 is added.

1952

The first level of the elementary building is constructed.

1953

School is complete with grades 1-12.

1954

First graduating class has three graduates. From left to right: Phillip Perreira, Jr., Kiyo Itokazu, and Harry Uyeunten.

1955

The second floor of the elementary building is completed.

1959

Hawaii becomes a state. Phaseout of support by Foreign Mission Board begins.

1960

Operation of the school is transferred to the Hawaii Baptist Convention. The McCormicks and other missionary teachers retire/move back to the mainland.

1963

Kindergarten is added.

1965

Upper school receives accreditation.

1969

Construction begins on a joint-use building with Central Baptist Church.

1970

Retiring U.S. Air Force Col. Stanley Sagert is elected by the HBC Board to head HBA and authorizes him to raise critical funds to support the school.

1971

The joint use building is completed. Part of the original school property is leased to a developer to help finance a new campus on less expensive land.

1972

April 21: The 13.6 acre estate in Nuuanu is acquired for $553,000 through an auction. Photo courtesy of R.M. Towill Corporation 

Fall: Grades 7-12 meet in Theo H. Davies building in Mapunapuna.

1973

Construction starts on a 4-level classroom building on the Pali property. Dr. Dan Kong is asked to join HBA as vice president of development to help raise funds on the mainland. Grades 7-12 meet at Makiki Christian Church's educational building.

1975

The Bessie Fleming Building on the Pali Campus is completed. Grades 7-12 move to the new Pali campus. 

1977

The Mainland Advisory Council (MAC) holds its first meeting in Honolulu.

1982

Isaiah 40:31 is adopted as the new Alma Mater.

Feb 19. - Groundbreaking and construction begins on the Shiraki Building.

1983

The Shiraki Building is completed.

1986

The Stanford Building on the Leeward Campus at Puu Kahea is completed.

1987

HBA acquires the Sacred Hearts Convent School, appraised at more than $18 million, for $14 million interest-free.

Col. Stan Sagert retires after 17 years as HBA president. He is succeeded by Dr. Ron Boggs.

1988

Dr. Dan Kong becomes president.

1990

The Aloha Council is organized.

1992

HBA is incorporated as a subsidiary of the Hawaii Pacific Baptist Convention.

1994

Richard Bento becomes HBA's fourth president.

1997

HBA becomes the first K-12 school in Hawaii to implement a modified school calendar.

1998

HBA closes its Leeward Campus due to declining enrollment.

1999

HBA celebrates its 50th anniversary, marked by student involvement in 50 community service projects.

2002

The elementary school receives accreditation.

2006

The middle school campus is completed and named after former school president Dr. Dan Kong.

HBA takes the ILH Division II first place Kaimana Award for overall school excellence, and continues to be recognized.

2007

A standard school attire is adopted for all students.

2011

The Waterhouse property on Wyllie Street is purchased for administrative offices.

2013

The new Arts and Science Building is completed at the High School.

The high school library is renovated into the Learning Resource Center.

iPads are distributed as part of the curriculum.

2014

Donor Wall on the Arts and Science Building is unveiled in February.

HBA holds its first Legacy Awards in November. The inaugural Lifetime Legacy Award is presented to Hugh and Mary McCormick, Col. Stan Sagert and Joyce Wong.

2015

The Lifetime Legacy Award recipients for 2015 are Dan Kong and Patricia Simmons.

2016

Ronald Shiira ’75, vice president since 2013, becomes HBA’s fifth president.

The elementary campus is named in honor of Richard Bento.

2017

HBA’s Mock Trial team wins first state championship.

2018

HBA’s Wind Ensemble performs at Carnegie Hall at the Sounds of Spring International Music Festival and at the First Baptist Church of Alexandria, Virginia.

# #